Protein is a macronutrient that is in building and maintaining the muscular structure. Unlike carbohydrates which are also macronutrients, proteins can’t be stored in the human body. Thus, persons wishing to bulk up their muscles must consume proteins constantly to refuel their protein supplies. Here is where protein powders become beneficial.
What Are Protein Powders?
Protein powders are concentrated protein sources with added nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. They come in different flavors, colors, and textures. Protein powders are made from various food sources such as meat, fish, soybeans, or whey.
The Benefits of Protein Powders
Many benefits come with taking protein powders such as:
- It helps build muscle mass
- It helps repair damaged muscles after workouts
- Protein provides energy to athletes during their training sessions
- It aids in maintaining and improving body composition
- Provides a quick source of protein for vegetarians
- It helps those with health conditions such as weight loss, diabetes, and cancer
Protein powders are also very convenient to take. They can be mixed with water or milk and taken on the go. More often than not, protein powders are also fortified with vitamins and minerals to help supplement your diet.
How Do Protein Powders Work?
Protein powders provide a quick and convenient way to get the recommended daily amount of protein. There are many different types and sources of protein powders, each providing its unique benefits.
What Is Whey Protein?
Whey is a by-product of cheese production and is usually in liquid form. It’s an excellent source of easily digestible protein, and it contains all nine essential amino acids that the body needs to build muscle mass. However, whey has a short shelf life making it difficult to store and transport. To overcome this problem, manufacturers have created whey isolate protein powder which are essentially dehydrated forms of whey with added ingredients such as sweeteners, flavors, colors, vitamins, and minerals. According to Legion Athletics, you can benefit from “a 100% natural grass-fed whey isolate protein powder made with milk from small, sustainable dairy farms in Ireland.”
The Benefits Of Whey Protein
Whey protein has numerous benefits. Some include:
- It contains high-quality proteins that help you build muscle mass
- Whey protein can be used as a meal replacement or between meals
- Aids in weight loss and helps maintain healthy body weight by decreasing appetite
- Helps to repair damaged muscle tissue
- Provides a quick and convenient way of getting the recommended daily amount of protein
How Much Whey Protein Do You Need Per Day?
Whey protein is an excellent source of protein for anyone looking to build muscle. It’s also a great way to get the recommended daily amount of protein if you’re watching your weight.
To determine how much whey protein you need per day, you first have to figure out your daily calorie intake. There are many calculators available online that will help you determine your daily calorie intake based on age, sex, height, and weight.
Once you have determined your daily calorie intake, multiply it by 1.5 and then divide it by the number of meals you eat per day (typically three meals). This will give you the total calories that should be coming from whey protein in each meal (approximately 50-60 grams).