Some claim that horse shampoo makes their hair shiny and healthy, while others are skeptical, and this leads to the question, is horse shampoo good for human hair?
The latest hair care trend is achieving glossy and healthy hair using horse shampoo. Despite the many human hair shampoos on the market, some people use horse shampoo to treat their hair.
Are you curious to learn more about this controversial hair care approach? Read on to learn the truth about horse shampoo and its impact on human hair.
So, is horse shampoo good for human hair?
Yes, however, be advised that you cannot use all horse shampoos on your hair. While horse shampoo is formulated to clean and condition the hair of our equine friends, it can also benefit human hair.
Horse shampoo has natural ingredients and is free from harsh chemicals, making it a gentle alternative to many commercial shampoos.
How To Use Horse Shampoo On Your Hair
You can use it like regular shampoo, making your hair feel smooth. But wait, it gets even better!
Some brands have conditioners that come in a spray bottle formula. That means you can use it as a leave-in conditioner after you get out of the shower. To use horse shampoo:
- Step 1: Wet your hair to prepare it for the cleansing process.
- Step 2: Apply two tablespoons of the shampoo onto your hair and lather it to create rich foam. Leave it for a minute.
- Step 3: Thoroughly rinse your hair with water.
What Is Horse Shampoo Made Of?
When choosing the ideal shampoo for your hair, the key factor to consider is the active ingredient present in the product.
Many horse shampoos typically consist of approximately 80 to 90 percent water, with the remaining portion comprising active ingredients such as fragrance and preservatives. You will find the following ingredients in most horse shampoos:
- Keratin – This protein occurs naturally in the hair shaft and is essential for maintaining strong and healthy hair.
- Avocado and sunflower oils – These oils make the hair smoother and lock in moisture within the outer layer of the hair.
- Panthenol – Panthenol is a derivative of vitamin B-5 and helps lubricate the hair shaft, keeping it soft and manageable.
- Benzalkonium chloride – It aids in eliminating yeast that contributes to severe seborrheic dermatitis, a scalp condition characterized by redness and inflammation.
- Olive oil – Known for its moisturizing properties, its present in certain formulas to provide hydration to the hair.
- Pyrithione zinc – This ingredient combats dandruff, helping to eliminate flakes and relieve scalp irritation.
Benefits Of A Horse Shampoo On Human Hair
Using horse shampoo on human hair has numerous benefits that are too good to ignore. Here are some reasons to consider using horse shampoo on your hair.
- Reduces split ends – It contains ingredients such as biotin and panthenol, which help to strengthen the hair from the inside out. As a result, your hair will be less prone to breakage, resulting in almost no split ends and healthier-looking hair.
- Makes the hair thicker – The unique formulation of horse shampoo can add volume to the hair, making it appear thicker and fuller. This is especially beneficial for those with fine or thinning hair.
- Promotes hair growth – The vitamins and minerals in horse shampoo nourish the hair follicles, encouraging new hair growth. If you’re looking to grow out your hair or just want to give it a boost, then horse shampoo is something you should try.
- Deep cleansing – Horse shampoo is known for its deep-cleansing properties, effectively removing dirt, oil, and product buildup from the hair and scalp.
- Boosts hair shine – The natural ingredients in horse shampoo can enhance the shine and luster of the hair, giving it a healthy and glossy appearance.
- Promotes scalp health – Using horse shampoo promotes scalp health. It helps to balance the pH levels of your scalp, which can prevent itching, flaking, and other irritations. As you already know, a healthy scalp is essential for maintaining healthy hair.
- Gets rid of oily hair – Horse shampoo is an excellent option for those struggling with oily hair. It has clarifying properties that help remove excess oil and keep your hair fresh and clean.
- Detangles your hair – Horse shampoo can make combing and styling easier by reducing tangles and knots, making your hair more manageable, thanks to the natural oils present.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Using The Horse Shampoo On Human Hair?
While horse shampoo can provide many benefits for human hair, it’s also essential to be aware of the possible side effects that come with it.
If you experience any adverse effects, stop using the product immediately and consult a healthcare professional.
- Allergic reaction – Some people may experience itching, redness, and even swelling of the scalp after using the shampoo.
Therefore it is important to check the ingredients before using any product, even if it’s marketed for human use.
- Hair damage – Excessive use or improper shampoo application can lead to hair damage, such as brittleness or breakage. Follow the instructions to the latter to avoid overusing the shampoo.
- Discoloration – Certain shampoos may contain ingredients that can cause alteration of hair color, especially for individuals with dyed or treated hair.
- Dryness from too much keratin – While keratin can benefit the hair, excessive use or high concentrations of keratin in shampoo may lead to dryness or an imbalance in the hair’s moisture levels.
- Excess frizz – Some individuals with wavy or curly hair textures may find that horse shampoo exacerbates frizz rather than controlling it. It’s important to observe how the hair responds and adjust usage accordingly.
- Hives, itchiness, and rash – Certain horse shampoos may include benzalkonium chloride, an ingredient that can cause skin irritation or allergic reactions in some individuals.
- Hair color loss – Prolonged use of horse shampoo, particularly those containing strong cleansing agents, may lead to gradual hair loss.
Healthy Hair Habits You Should Adopt
- Brush your hair before showering. It’s beneficial to gently brush your hair before showering to remove tangles or knots.
It helps prevent hair breakage and allows for easier detangling during the shower. Use a wide-toothed comb or a brush with soft bristles to gently brush your hair.
- Oil your scalp frequently. Regularly applying oil to your scalp can nourish the hair follicles and promote healthy hair growth.
It helps moisturize the scalp, reducing dryness and preventing dandruff. Coconut and olive oil are some of the best oils for your hair.
Massage the oil into your scalp, leave it on for a few hours, and then wash it off with a gentle shampoo.
- Don’t use too many products. While we all love to experiment with different hair products, too many products can cause damage to your hair. It’s essential to only use what you need and avoid combining too many styling products.
- Eat a balanced diet. A nutritious diet rich in vitamins, minerals, and proteins promotes healthy hair growth.
Consuming foods like fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains can provide the necessary nutrients for strong and vibrant hair.
- Too hot a shower is not good for your hair. Hot showers may feel relaxing, but it’s not great for your hair health.
Hot water strips away the natural oils from your scalp and can cause dryness and damage to your hair. Try washing your hair with lukewarm water, and you’ll quickly see the difference.
- Protect your hair from intense direct sunlight. We all love soaking up some sun, but did you know that harsh direct sunlight can damage your hair?
UV rays can cause your hair to become brittle, dry, and prone to breakage. So, make sure to protect your hair from intense sunlight by wearing a hat or using a scarf.
- Avoid tight hair ties. Tying your hair too tightly with elastic bands can cause strain on the hair follicles and lead to breakage. Opt for looser hairstyles or gentle hair ties that won’t pull or tug on your hair.
Is horse shampoo good for human hair? Yes, the use of horse shampoo on human hair can offer several benefits, but it is important to practice caution.
Horse shampoo contains ingredients such as keratin and oils, which can reduce split ends, make the hair thicker, and promote hair growth.
However, being aware of potential side effects such as allergic reactions, hair damage, and discoloration is crucial.