Have your nails turned Yellow? Do you worry about color discoloration at your toenails? The standard color of nails is clear. But yellow nails are not standard because they are irritating to look at and give a gross feel. So, if you are worried and wondering, why are my toenails yellow?
This article will detail the causes, prevention, and treatment of yellow nails. Also, we will notify you when you must visit a doctor and if the infection spreads to another part of the body or not. So, let’s begin by answering your question.
What Is The Cause Of Yellow Toenails?
Healthy nails are clear or pinkish. Also, they don’t have any cracks, ridges or abnormal depressions. If your nails are turning yellow, there can be multiple reasons like nail polish, infection or ageing issues. Let us tell you about them in detail:
Your nails and fingertips can naturally turn yellow due to ageing issues. When you grow older, the nails become thick and their shape changes. So, people who are ageing are more likely to have yellow-colored nails.
Yellow nails are not a dangerous problem. But it can be a sign of an underlying health problem. For instance, yellow nails indicate an infection, fungus, or other medical disorder. In rare cases, it can be a sign of yellow nail syndrome.
The complete details and reasons for yellow nails syndrome are not known. But people have yellow, curved, thick nails that grow slowly with respiratory problems. The nails might have ridges and turn green or black. You must see a doctor change in nail shape, thickness, pain, swelling etc.
Another common cause of Yellow Toenails is infection. The fungus can cause attacks on the nails, called onychomycosis. The disease is more commonly seen in adults, making yellow spots, white patches, and black.
The fungal infection caused by dermatophytes eats keratin for growth, and it’s found in skin and hair. People above the age of 70 are more prone to get the infection.
Frequently using nail polish on nails, mainly if a dark color like red, pink, orange and black, can make yellowish discoloration. Other than this, nail polish has no other problem caused by nail polish, and it disappears when the nail polish use is discontinued.
Trauma Or injury
Trauma or busing can make your toenail yellow. Mostly, it will fade with time, but in case of severe trauma or injury, your toenail can turn permanently yellow.
These are the most common causes of yellow toenails. People with diabetes, Nail injury, poor blood circulation and weak immune system are more prone to get affected from fungal infections at toenails. Moving on, let’s know how you can get rid of the yellow nails.
How To Get Rid Of Yellow Toenails?
The common cause for Yellow Toenails is yeast, mold or other fungus infection. For that case, there are a few remedies that will help you get rid of yellow toenails that are:
- You can soak your toenails into baking soda and water because it has antifungal effects to treat fungal infections.
- Use 100% tea tree oil twice on affected yellow toenails for reducing the problem.
- Apply a liquid formula of olive leaf extract multiple times a day on fungal infection to treat the condition.
- You can apply a small amount of melted coconut oil on thick yellow toenails.
- There are several over the counter antifungal nail creams and ointments. You can clean your nails, make them dry and apply the creams on lotion on them.
- If the OTC ointment cream is not adequate, you can consult a doctor, and they can suggest a more suitable ointment for yellow toenails.
- Oregano oil has thymol that is proven to have antifungal and antibacterial properties. You can apply the oil twice on the yellow toenails with a cotton swab and even pair it with tea tree oil.
- Garlic has antifungal and antimicrobial properties, and you can apply chopped garlic to the infected area for 30 minutes daily.
You must visit a doctor if your yellow toenails don’t go away. Next, let us tell you some simple ways to prevent yellow toenails.
How To Prevent Your Toenails From Turning Yellow?
Some crucial practices can help you in preventing your toenails from turning yellow. But it will not be effective if it’s a sign of an underlying medical problem. They are:
- Wear shoes or footwear that is a perfect fit for your feet.
- Cut your regular and clean nail clippers, maintaining nail hygiene.
- Keep your nails clean and dry.
- Make sure that your salon follows good hygienic guidelines.
- Discontinue using nail polish and prevent using dark color nail polishes.
- Don’t wear wet or sweaty shoes or footwear for a long time.
- Wear clean socks every day.
These tips will help you to prevent yellow toenails. But, after all of it, you know when it is essential to visit a doctor for yellow toenails.
When To Visit A Doctor For Yellow Toenails?
You can treat mild yellow toenails symptoms at home with simple remedies. However, the fungal infection can turn severe and develop into severe issues like foot ulcers. In addition, people with diabetes or other medical problems are more likely to create a severe fungal infection.
If your toenails continue to be thick discolored with abnormal formations or shapes, you must consult a medical professional for the same. Doctors can get a better diagnosis behind the reason for yellow toenails by analyzing a sample or conducting a biopsy for it. Then, doctors can recommend more accurate and effective treatments.
Next, let us tell you where yellow toenails can spread further on your body.
Can Yellow Toenails Infection Spread?
The Answer is Yes. But Yellow toenails infection will not spend ahead of the toe, yet it can affect your skin. In addition, toenail fungus can spread between other toenails, skin at the toes and groin area or scalp.
We have reached the end of this article. We hope you have got an answer to your question!
There are multiple reasons for yellow toenails: ageing, medical Conditions, consistent use of nail polish, infection, or trauma and injury. There are several home remedies to treat them like oregano oil, tea tree oil, garlic or melted coconut oil to the affected area. Also, some common ways like proper hygiene methods can improve the problem of yellow toenails and help you get rid of them.
You May Like These Articles As Well: